I love corn. I mean, who doesn't? Fresh sweet corn, canned corn kernels, popcorn. I love them all! Corn is very versatile, and can be served many ways as appetizers, sides, and part of a dish in a meal. My other favorite corn dish is the Corn Bread Pudding which is packed with soft and warm bites of corn goodness that would take you to the moon and back. So for the love of corn, I whipped out these Corn Cakes that are crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. Dunk them in some sour cream, it might just take you into the outer space pass the moon and back.
Also for the love of broccoli, I threw in some of that in the batter as well. I think they go well together like peas and carrots. (Okay, peas and carrots are not my thing, I'm just using it as a comparison.) But what about you? What is your favorite veggie combo?
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 10 mins Total time: 20 mins
Serves: about 15, 2-inch cakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups canned corn kernels (or cooked corn kernels from the cob)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Sour cream to dip
- Using a stand (or hand) mixer, mix together flour, baking powder, eggs, and oil.
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients until well-combined.
- Set a frying pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tbsp of oil and twirl the pan to spread.
- Use a 1/3 measuring cup to scoop batter onto the pan. Cook each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Add more oil before cooking each batch. if you're fitting multiple cakes on the pan, make sure you leave enough room in between them so they're not touching on the edges.
- Serve hot with sour cream.