Last weekend, I had dinner at Lola BKLYN with a couple of friends. I had a heavy lunch that day so I wanted something light, and that's when I had this Butternut Squash Carrot Ginger Soup for the first time. Lola BKLYN is restaurant in Fort Greene mainly focuses on American cuisine. It's got a sister restaurant close by called Chez Oskar, which offers great French dishes. Both restaurants have a causal atmosphere, and the food is just phenomenal.
Butternut Squash Carrot Ginger Soup. It's super easy to make and you really don't need a whole lot of ingredients (hint the name of the soup). Besides the ingredients, you will need a blender. That will do the second half of the cooking for you. You also don't need a whole lot of cooking skills either, as long as you know how to chop and make sure you don't forget to put the lid on the blender. Everything else would be simple to handle with one eye closed.
Butternut Squash Carrot Ginger Soup
Servings: 2-3 quarts
- 1 medium onion a few cloves of garlic
- 1 butternut squash
- 6 carrots
- 6 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth (chicken broth works too)
- 3 tbsp of grated ginger salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp of dried or fresh thyme
- optional: 1 block of medium firm tofu, 14 oz
- Chop onion, butternut squash, and carrots. Then mince garlic, and grate ginger.
- Pour some olive oil in a dutch oven or stock pot. Add onion and garlic, cook until onions are soft.
- Add chopped butternut squash, and carrots, cook until everything is tender or when you're able to poke through the squash with a toothpick.
- Add broth and seasoning, and bring that up to a boil.
- Let the soup sit for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, set up your blender.
- In parts, blend the soup until smooth. *You'll need another big pot or container to pour the puréed soup.
- Take tofu block out of the plastic container. Use a couple paper towels, gently squeezed out some of the water.
- Cut the tofu block in small cubes, then add to soup and stir gently.