Breakfast Casseroles are great. If you're willing to spend 30 minutes to prep before going to bed, then all you have to do is to pop it in the oven when you wake up. I love that it's so hearty, it cures a rumbling belly right away. I also like to think of it as an omelette cake. So yes, have cake for breakfast!
For this breakfast casserole, I used red and green peppers, mushroom, sausage, on a bed of hash brown. Simple and quick to prep. Before assembling the casserole, I had cooked the sausage fully. And I had sauté the mushroom and peppers half way through with some garlic just to bring out the flavor.
Coat a baking dish with a thin layer of olive oil, then lay down some hash brown, and sprinkle some salt and pepper on top.
Put down the cooked sausage.
Then the peppers and mushroom.
Pour in the eggs evenly. (NOW, at this point, you may leave the casserole in the fridge overnight and just pop it in the oven when you wake up in the morning. If not, just continue to the next step!)
Then finally top with some cheddar cheese, and let the oven do the work for 30 minutes.
When it's cooked, sprinkle a pinch of dried thyme on top, and there you go :)
- 10oz hash brown
- 2 sausages, casing removed and crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1/2 cup red and green peppers, chopped salt and pepper
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cheddar cheese, shredded a pinch of dried thyme
- Remove casing of the sausages, and roughly break the meat apart.
- Cook sausage all the way through, about 15 minutes. Break up the meat more if needed with a spatula. Let cool and have the cooked sausage sit on a paper towel to drain the excess fat.
- Chop mushroom, red and green peppers to smaller pieces. Then mince the garlic. (I love my garlic mincer by Joseph Joseph)
- Heat a saute pan with some olive oil, drop the garlic until it gets fragrant (just a few minutes) then toss in the veggies, season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes just to bring out the flavor.
- Now, you can start assembling the casserole.
- Coat a baking dish with a thin layer of olive oil, then lay down some hash brown, and sprinkle some salt and pepper on top.
- Put down the cooked sausage and the veggies, then pour in the eggs.
- **At this point, you can choose to refrigerate overnight.
- Finally top with some shredded cheddar cheese before putting it in the oven.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Then let cool for 10 minute before serving, and sprinkle a pinch of dried thyme on top.